Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Douglas Fryer


I love the outdoors, and painting in plein air is probably my favorite thing to do. I have always wanted to focus more time on painting landscapes, but have always felt that humanity, emotion and storytelling always speak louder through figurative pieces (plus, if you can paint an awesome portrait, chances are, you'll be able to paint a great landscape or still life too). That being said, I want to spend some time this summer and do a few landscapes, something more than just the little study that I usually do.


I have a couple favorite landscape artists, and Douglas Fryer is somewhere near the top of my list. I just saw this video produced by Marshall-LeKae Gallery in Scottsdale, and thought it was worth mentioning (the intro is weird and 1 minute long . . . just bear with it, it gets better).



You can check out more of his paintings on his blog/archive here



Some of my other favorite landscape artists are:
Scott Christensen
Dennis Sheehan
John Taft
Michael Godfrey
and many others

Who are some of your favorites?

8 comments:

Aprilynn said...

Love the first painting. Makes me want to go find a farm just to watch the sunrise and the mist lift. Thanks for the post.

A.j. Trahan said...

Cool!
Have you seen
ben aronson
xiangyuan jie
kim cogan

Unknown said...

Hey,

Do you know Peter Fiore?

http://www.peterfiore.com/

He's super amazing with colour and light in nature!

wES

Ryan Mellody said...

Thanks AJ and Wesley, those are some great artists. I knew of xiangyuan and Kim Cogan (Cogans's got a really great style).

Both Fiore and Aronson are new to me. I love the moments of light that Fiore catches. I just started on a landscape, I'll put up a picture of it when I'm done.

Sergio Lopez said...

Big fan of Douglas Fryer!

William Worcester Fine Arts said...

Thanks for the link to the video, I have been interested in Douglas Fryer's work for quite a while, and the video was quite enlightening. I agree with you that the first minute was a bit much.Other artists you might find interesting are Lynn Boggess and Michael Workman. Boggess has a great video on his website. If you want to check out a lesser known landscape artist's work, you can visit my website at www.wworcesterart.com.

Christopher Thornock said...

Ryan-Just stumbled onto you blog. Thanks for posting this. Doug is a friend of mine, a very talented painter and sincere, good man. I had not seen this video and it was fun to watch. (I just fast skipped the whole intro - good on 2001, not on a bio vid)
I will second the Michael Workman post. His paintings are beautiful.

Troylet said...

Hi Ryan, I don't know if you still even monitor this blog anymore, but I thought it was worth a try!!!
I'm trying to view the Douglas Fryer Video, which obviously has been taken down by now, and was wondering if you knew where else it may be posted?
Also, would you happen to know what the heck has become of Doug?
I've admired his work for quite a while now and finally decided to spend some time looking a little deeper into his career!!!
Unfortunately, however, I see no work past 2012, and am curious as to why!!!
The gallery that carried his work and the video, no longer represent him and I have yet to find any gallery work that is dated, or dated beyond 2012!!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated Ryan!!!
BTW, I really really enjoy the work you're doing and congratulate you on your imminent success!!!
Thanks in advance for any help you're able to provide Ryan!!!